When the transformed Disney Magic sets sail this October, guests will be treated to a brand-new dining experience at Carioca’s, a restaurant named after Donald Duck’s parrot pal in “The Three Caballeros,” Jose Carioca. Latin influences will be apparent not only in the design of the room, which is inspired by the vibrancy of Rio de Janeiro, but also in many of the new menu items.
We have the recipe of one of the delicious desserts in Carioca’s, De La Costa Cream Cheese Flan. Made with cream cheese, caramel and a sweet reduction sauce, and garnished with bananas and raspberries, there’s no doubt this dessert will be a guest favorite.
De La Costa Cream Cheese Flan with Pedro Ximenez Reduction Sauce
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
Cream Cheese Flan
8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup whole milk at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 egg yolks
Pinch coarse salt
Boiling water, for water bath
Pedro Ximenez Reduction
1/2 cup Pedro Ximenez wine (sweet wine)
1/2 cup sugar
For caramel base:
- Place a 10-inch round cake pan on top of a folded dishtowel set inside a medium roasting pan. Set aside.
- Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir until sugar dissolves. Brush sugar crystals from sides of pan with a wet pastry brush.
- Boil, swirling pan and occasionally brushing down sides of pan with wet pastry brush, until mixture is golden brown, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour caramel into the bottom of the prepared cake pan. Cool to room temperature.
For cream cheese flan:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat cream cheese in an electric mixer fitted with a wire whisk until smooth. Gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and whole milk until smooth, scraping sides and bottom of bowl. Slowly add in eggs and the egg yolks, beating until completely combined. Stir in salt and vanilla extract.
- Pour mixture over caramel in prepared cake pan set inside the roasting pan. Open oven and place the roasting pan on the center oven rack. Carefully pour boiling water into roasting pan until water reaches halfway up the cake pan.
- Bake until a knife inserted into the center of the flan comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool in water bath; when cool enough to handle, remove cake pan and cool completely. Refrigerate overnight or at least 6 hours before serving.
For Pedro Ximenez reduction:
- Combine sugar and Pedro Ximenez in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until mixture is reduced by one-third, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature before serving.
- Run a thin knife around the inside edge of the cake pan to loosen flan. Shake pan gently from side to side until flan moves freely in pan. Invert a large plate over cake pan; holding pan and plate securely together, quickly invert and turn out flan onto plate. (Caramel will pour out over and around flan.)
- Cut flan into rectangles and top with sliced bananas and raspberries. Drizzle with Pedro Ximenez reduction.
Ready to set sail on the Disney Magic and try this fabulous dessert for yourself? Contact Diana at email@example.com today to start planning!
Recipe and picture from Disney Food Blog